Having problems recording your Zoom meeting in Canvas?
- If you've already started your Zoom meeting and cannot record:
- Open the Zoom Participants list and click "Claim Host" at the bottom of the panel.
- Select the option to "Sign in with SSO".
- Enter "georgetown" into the SSO text field.
- Enter your NetID and password (and follow any DUO prompts) on the web page that opens.
- Once signed in, the Zoom meeting room will now display all host controls including the option to record.
- If you haven't started the meeting yet and want to ensure you will be able to record:
I. CREATE And join an instant ZOOM meeting
Things to note:
- The Zoom meeting room will be available to use right away and throughout the semester.
- Canvas will automatically send an Announcement to everyone enrolled in your course, which will include a link to the Zoom Conferencing tool page in your course.
- To avoid sending an Announcement see the section on Scheduling a Zoom Meeting.
1. Login to Canvas and access the course site where you want to create a Zoom meeting. Click the Zoom Conferencing button on the course menu.
2. Click the Create Meeting (1-Click) button.
3. Your Zoom meeting room will be created and a link displayed under the Topic column as shown below.
4. To join the meeting click the blue meeting link (titled: Course Meeting: "your course name here"). A web browser tab or window will open, and depending on your browser settings you may have to click the "Launch Application" button that appears.
5) Finally, click the green button to join your computer's speakers and microphone to the Zoom Meeting, or click the "Join by Phone" to dial in.
II. SCHEDULED and join a ZOOM MEETING
Things to note:
- The Zoom meeting will be available to use right away, and will remain available for 30 days after the scheduled date and duration.
1. Login to Canvas and access the course site where you want to schedule a Zoom meeting. Click the Zoom Conferencing button on the course menu.
2. Click on the Create Meeting (Custom) button.
3. You can modify the following settings:
- Topic: By default, the meeting name will match the course ID. You can change it by entering a new meeting name.
- Participant Video: Turn On or Off (off by default). This will turn on each participant's video (if applicable) upon joining the meetnig.
- Host Video: Turn On or Off (on by default). This will turn on the host video (if applicable) upon joining the meeting.
- Allow Join Before Host: Turn On or Off (on by default). This will allow participants to join the meeting before the host arrives.
- Audio Options: Telephony Only, VoIP Only, Both (Both is default and recommended).
- Password (optional): By default, there's no password set.
- Meeting Type: To create a meeting for a specific day/time click the "Scheduled" button. Or select "Recurring" if you would like to reuse the meeting room throughout the semester.
- Set the Start Date and Time: If you selected "Recurring" this option will not appear. If you selected the "Scheduled" button enter the date and time of the meeting by clicking on the Calendar icon (see below for more details).
- Create Announcement?: Canvas can automatically send an Announcement to everyone in the course with a link to the Zoom Conferencing page in Canvas. You can toggle this on or off.
- To set the start time of the meeting, click on the small Clock icon on the calendar:
- Once the time-picker is revealed, use the up-and-down arrows and AM/PM button to adjust the start time:
- Set the Duration of the meeting:
4. Click on the Submit button to create your Zoom meeting.
5. A link to your Zoom Meeting will appear under the topic section of the Zoom Conferencing page (e.g. Guest Speaker: Dr. Anna Smyth). Both instructors and students can use this link to join the Zoom Meeting.
6. To join the meeting, click the topic name (e.g. Guest Speaker: Dr. Anna Smyth). A web browser tab or window will open, and depending on your browser settings you may have to click the "Launch Application" button that appears.
7. Finally, click the green button to join your computer's speakers and microphone to the Zoom Meeting, or click the "Join by Phone" to dial in.
III. Setup ONLINE OFFICE HOURS
Things to note:
- Following this process will enable online Zoom office hours in all of your Canvas courses.
- Students won't be able to join your online office hours unless you are already present in the Zoom room.
- Sign in to Zoom before starting your online office hours.
1. Login to Canvas and access the course site where you want to create online Zoom office hours. Click the Zoom Conferencing button on the course menu.
2. Click on the Create Office Hours Meeting button.
3. You will receive a confirmation message "Created new Office Hours Zoom meeting," and a meeting link with your last name, first name will appear below the "Online Office Hours" heading.
4. When you're ready to start your online office hours (sign in to Zoom first) and then click your name to launch the meeting. A new tab or window will open in your browser, redirecting you to the Zoom Meeting, and depending on your web browser you may have to click the "Launch Application" button that appears.
5. Finally, click the green button to join your computer's speakers and microphone to the Zoom Meeting, or click the "Join by Phone" to dial in.
IV. Copy/paste a Zoom Meeting URL in your canvas course
PLEASE NOTE: THIS METHOD IS NOT RECOMMENDED
You can create Recurring and Scheduled Zoom meetings using the Zoom client. In this example, we are going to Schedule a Zoom meeting, then copy / paste the meeting details (url) into a Canvasc course.
Once signed in, the Zoom main window will display.
1. Click the "Schedule" button.
2. In the “Schedule a meeting” window, perform the following:
- Enter a descriptive name "Topic" for your meeting in the Topic field
- Enter the information for the Start and Duration fields
- (Optional) Select "Recurring" meeting if you want to use this meeting throughout the semester.
- Verify that the "Join before Host" is enabled (this will allow students to use the meeting room without you (the host) starting the Zoom meeting).
- Make sure "Other Calendar" is selected in the Calendar area at the bottom of the window.
- Click Schedule when you’re done.
3. In the resulting window, the Zoom invitation information will be provided.
- Click the "Copy to Clipboard" button
- (Optional) click and highlight the URL that includes "Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/xxxxxxxxx" and copy (via right click or keyboard shortcut)
4. Sign in to Canvas and navigate to the course where you want to paste the Zoom meeting invitation. There are a several places within your Canvas course to paste the Zoom meeting invitation. In this example, a course announcement is used to send the Zoom meeting inviation.
- Create an Announcement and paste the Zoom invitation information into the announcement
NOTE: The Zoom meeting URL will not automatically become a hyperlink in the text. In other words, students will have to copy/paste the URL into their web browser to join the meeting. Use the Canvas Rich Content Editor to hyperlink the "Join from..." meeting URL.