Embed ShareStream Media to Pages in Canvas
There are different ways to use ShareStream in Canvas. This page shows how to embed ShareStream media files to Canvas course pages using the Rich Content Editor in Canvas.
This ShareStream feature can be accessed from all course areas where the Rich Content Editor is available, including Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes and the Syllabus page.
Embed Preexisting ShareStream Media
1) When you are ready to add ShareStream content, position the cursor in the desired location and in the toolbar of the Rich Content Editor click the “plug” icon to reveal the ShareStream icon.
2) Click on the ShareStream icon, which will open the “Add ShareStream Content” window where you may select a preexisting media asset to embed.
3) To add a preexisting media, navigate to the asset you wish to add by either using the paginator at the bottom of the window or searching for a specific asset. To search for a specific asset, enter a search term in the search field and press enter.
4) Select the asset you wish to add by checking the checkbox next to the desired media, and once you are satisfied with your selection, select “Add”.
5) The thumbnail of the selected asset will then appear in the editor
content area. Once satisfied with the arrangement of the ShareStream media, select Save, Save and Publish, or Submit, (depending on the course area from which you are accessing the editor) from within Canvas.
Upload New ShareStream Media to Embed
1) When you are ready to insert ShareStream content, position the cursor in the desired location, and in the toolbar of the Rich Content Editor click the “plug” icon to reveal the ShareStream icon.
2) Click on the ShareStream icon, which will open the “Add ShareStream Content” window where you may upload a new media asset to embed.
3) Select “Upload” to add a new media file into the Rich Content Editor using ShareStream.
4) Select the file you wish to upload from your hard drive and select
5) In the Add ShareStream Content window, enter metadata for the file you wish to upload, including Title, Contributor, Description, and Destination. If there are subfolders for the Course Folder in ShareStream, you can select a subfolder as the Destination for your media file. Note: you also have the option of generating captions for the file. To generate captions for the file, select the checkbox next to “Send this file to captioning service.”
6) Select Upload.
7) You can monitor the upload progress with the progress bar.
8) Once the file upload is complete, select Add.
9) The content will appear as ‘Processing’ until the file completes transcoding. Once transcoding is finished, the asset will be viewable and available for playback. Note: You may click Save, Save and Publish, or Submit, (depending on the course area from which you are accessing the editor) from within Canvas before the file has completed processing. Once the media asset has completed processing, it will be playable.