Google Meet is a video conferencing tool that enables you to securely make video calls, and conduct impromptu meetings with people both within and outside Georgetown. Unlike Zoom at Georgetown, Google Meet runs in a browser window on your computer. You can use Google Meet on your mobile device as well by downloading the app from either the App Store (Apple) or Google Play (Android).
While Zoom has been overall an extremely reliable platform for our virtual meetings, the UIS-EdTech team has explored other, alternative options in case of an extended outage. We recommend that instructors familiarize themselves with Google Meet, which is available to all Georgetown community members via the Google Apps suite.
Google Meet Features
- Hold up to 100 people in one meeting
- Dial-in access available for meetings (US only)
- Recorded meetings are automatically saved to Google Drive
- Note: This is a premium feature that will expire later in 2020, and be replaced with a ‘temporary recordings’ feature. Temporary recordings will allow the host to record a meeting and share the recording only with people at Georgetown for up to 30 days before the video expires.
Getting Started with Google Meet
- Start a meeting and invite participants from the web
- Start a meeting and invite participants from your Georgetown Gmail account
- Schedule a meeting from Google Calendar and invite participants
- Start a meeting and invite students from a Canvas course
- Collaborate in meetings (chat, screen share, record, etc.)
- Join a meeting
Additional Help Resources for Google Meet
Start a Meeting and Invite Students from a Canvas Course
- Create a Google Meet by going to https://meet.google.com. (If prompted, log in with your NetID and password.)
- Click Join or start a meeting.
- On the pop-up window click Continue, (optional) enter the course name, course ID, or leave the field blank.
- Your browser will prompt you to allow Google Meet to use your computer’s microphone and camera. Click Allow.
- Click Join now.
- In the pop-up message, click Copy joining info.
- Sign in to Canvas.
- Go to the course where you want to invite students.
- Create a Canvas announcement (paste the meeting information into the announcement to invite your students) and then send the announcement.