Getting Ready for Zoom Phone
If you’re about to get a Zoom Phone account, you can perform the following to help get you started before your account is created for you.
Once you get your Zoom Phone account (and confirmation email from UIS), you’ll then be able to set up Zoom Phone.
- Launch Zoom Application at Computer Startup
- Pin Your Application to Dock (Mac) or Taskbar (Windows)
- Integrate Your Google Calendar and Contacts
Launch Zoom Application at Computer Startup
In order to access Zoom Phone, you must be logged in to the Zoom client on your computer. (Click here if you need to install the Zoom client.) One way to ensure that Zoom is always open and active on your computer is to have Zoom open automatically when you start up your computer.
Opening Zoom at Startup (Mac)
- Click the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Users and Groups.
- Click on the Login Items tab.
- Click the plus sign (+) at the bottom of the login items list.
- Scroll down the applications list until you locate Zoom (zoom.us).
- Select Zoom (zoom.us) and then click Add.
Opening Zoom at Startup (Windows)
- Open the Zoom application.
- Sign in to Zoom if you’re not already signed in.
- Click on your profile icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen, then select Settings from the drop-down list.
- In the Settings window, make sure the General tab is selected.
Select the option Start Zoom when I start Windows. You’ll then see the additional option Silently start Zoom when I start Windows, which will open Zoom in the background.
Pin Your Application to Dock (Mac) or Taskbar (Windows)
Another way to ensure that the Zoom application is readily available is to “pin” it to the Dock (Mac) or Windows Taskbar.
Pin Zoom to the Dock (Mac)
- Open the Zoom application.
- Right-click the Zoom icon in the Dock.
- Choose Options > Keep in Dock.
Pin Zoom to Windows Taskbar
- Open the Zoom application
- Right-click the Zoom icon in the taskbar
- Choose “Pin to taskbar”
Integrate Your Google Calendar and Contacts
You can integrate your Google Calendar and contacts with Zoom (includes Zoom Phone), which will allow Zoom to access your calendar, and enable you to use your Google contacts list to make calls on Zoom Phone.
- Go to the Zoom Web client login page and then click Sign In.
- Click Settings, and then click the Profile tab on the left-hand side of the page.
- Click the Configure Calendar and Contacts Service button at the bottom of the page.
- In the “Select a Service” pop-up window, click Google and then click the Next button.
- At the next window prompting you to log in to your Georgetown Google account, select your Georgetown (‘@georgetown.edu‘) account.
- In the next screen, select the options to allow the Zoom application access to your calendar and contacts, and then click Continue. (Note: You can always see or remove access in your Google Account.)
You’ll be returned to your Zoom main page, and should also see at the top of the page the following confirmation message:
Configure calendar successfully. You can go to client to check your upcoming meetings.