Higher education is changing rapidly due to many technology forces including, multiplication of mobile devices on campus, and the rise in social networks and in online learning.
In addition to supporting Georgetown’s day-to-day academic mission, UIS is ensuring Georgetown’s technology foundation is ready to support the digital classroom of the future through the above technology modernization strategy. UIS is currently in year three of a five-year, strategy. Here is a vignette of the progress made so far:
- Installed wifi across 100% of main campus.
- Transitioned email and calendar functions to Google Apps, saving the University $800,000 and creating a platform for student, faculty and staff collaboration.
- Built a Georgetown Mobile App on an open source mobile platform for student and vendor app development. GU Mobile now has more than 25,000 users and delivers services to students, faculty and staff.
- Streamlined staff mobile device contracts across campus for better service and almost $350,00 university savings per year.
- Transferred applications formerly housed in the dated mainframe into the cloud, generating $700,000 in cost savings. Georgetown University is now leading the way in higher ed use of cloud solutions.
In addition to modernizing technology at Georgetown, UIS is collaborating with students, faculty and staff to build a culture of innovation at Georgetown University. Have ideas for building the digital classroom of the future and a culture of innovation at Georgetown University? Please share your ideas with us at Georgetown Ideas!
Want to know more about UIS, the modernization strategy, and technology at Georgetown? Read our 2014 annual report and keep up with the latest UIS services, features, and innovation events on Facebook and Twitter.