Managing your own server can consume the time and attention of your IT and administrative staff. UIS Managed Hosting Services enables you to lease a dedicated server for your application, database, or storage space that would be set up and managed by experienced UIS staff in a secure, protected environment.
UIS offers a variety of services where we set up and manage your data or applications at one of the UIS data centers. We work with you to determine your needs and within your budget. Our hosting options can be scaled to the size of your hosting and technology requirements, and are heavily discounted compared to third-party hosting options.
Georgetown faculty members and staff may request a hosting service for a new project, grant, research project, or for departmental administrative uses.
To request a hosting service, just complete a brief questionnaire outlining the desired services (review the respective managed service Web page for details). A UIS Account Manager will review your request, and contact you to discuss the details. (Click here for an overview of how we work with you to develop a managed hosting solution.)
Why Choose UIS for your hosting needs?
- Expertise and experience to develop in-house solutions to meet your needs and requirements (scaled to your needs, requirements, and budget)
- Servers configured to meet research grant requirements
- Applications and data stored and managed by Georgetown at university-owned data centers
- Data backed up daily, and application security and feature patches updated on a timely basis
- Signing up for the service benefits the university
- Sensitive data stored and protected per university privacy policies
Features of UIS Managed Hosting Services
Some of the features of the managed hosting services are the following:
- Free consultation with UIS to develop a hosting service that best fits your needs and requirements.
- Dedicated or shared virtual and physical servers configured and managed by experienced UIS administrators. (You can elect to lease server space, and can choose whether you or UIS manages the server.)
- State-of-the-art data centers
- Regular security and application updates
- Production and test servers set up for your applications
- Daily data backups
- Data and applications housed in a secure environment with restricted access
- 24/7 access to your data, application, or database
- Experienced IT administrators with expert knowledge of Georgetown's academic computing needs and requirements
Supported Platforms (Managed Operating Systems and Databases)
Microsoft Windows Server® (2008 or higher)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Oracle (11g or higher)
Microsoft SQL Server (2008 or higher)
VMWare ESXi 5.0 or higher
Requesting a Service
To request one of UIS's managed hosting services, please refer to the web page of the specific managed service for details.
If you have any questions about the UIS Managed Hosting services, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and your Account Manager will reach out to you for assistance.