Domain Name Requirements
Only departments and administrative offices of Georgetown University are eligible to apply for domain names. All applications are reviewed by the Communications Office and UIS.
Please take a minute to review our Domain Name Service (DNS) request guidelines and request your domain below.
- If the domain name is for a Web service or site, the website must be ready and available for review.
- Domain names must be appropriate under the Computer Systems Acceptable Use Policy.
- Domain names may not be too broad or misleading.
Example: teaching.georgetown.edu is too broad to be granted to an individual academic department.
- Non-Georgetown domains will not be hosted on our servers. Non-Georgetown domains should point directly from the domain service to the url of the site.
Example: domain.com will not be resolved by UIS DNS servers or UIS web servers. You should work with your Domain source to point the domain to a specific url such as wwwX.georgetown.edu/path/to/my/site.
- Georgetown domain names may be hosted by Georgetown servers only. Requests for non-Georgetown hosting of domains will be reviewed separately by the Office of Communications and UIS.
Example: domain.georgetown.edu will not be forwarded to an external server by UIS DNS servers or UIS web servers.
- Domain names that may be needed by another department require the approval of the appropriate groups.
Example: english.georgetown.edu will not be granted without the approval of the English Department.
- Domain names will not be granted for individual persons.
Example: johnsmith.georgetown.edu will not be granted for John Smith’s personal web site.
- Domain names may not contain dates for one-time events.
Example: jesuitweek2003.georgetown.edu will not be granted.
- Requests within SFS require approval by the SFS webmaster. Requests within the Medical Center may be subject to review by the GUMC Office of Communications.
- Domain names are limited to 20 characters (before the .georgetown.edu).
- Each domain name must use either acronyms or full words. Partial words are not permitted.
Example: univinfserv.georgetown.edu will not be granted; use an acronym such as uis.georgetown.edu.
- Domain names must consist of only numbers or letters. Domain names for internal servers may also include hyphens (“-“), but the domain name cannot begin or end with a hyphen.
Example: sfs-faculty.georgetown.edu will not be granted if this domain is meant to be accessible to the public.
- Domain names may not be slogans or taglines.
Example: electnader.georgetown.edu will not be granted.
- Domain names may not contain trademarked brand names.
Example: macromedia.georgetown.edu will not be granted.
- Domain names that are clearly repetitive will not be granted.
Example: alumniof2002.georgetown.edu is one of many similar names; a better alternative would be alumni.georgetown.edu/2002.
- A second domain starting with “www” will not be created.
Example: If your request for mydomain.georgetown.edu is approved, an additional domain www.mydomain.georgetown.edu will not be created.
- Student organizations with access to benefits as defined by the Center for Student Programs are eligible for domain names as outlined below (line 18). Student organizations not listed by the Center for Student Programs are not eligible for domain names.
- Student organization sites will be assigned URLs beginning with studentorgs.georgetown.edu and will not have individual domain names.
Example: www12.georgetown.edu/students/organizations/irish should use studentorgs.georgetown.edu/irish.