UIS offers three different tools for receiving and disseminating information by e-mail.
Administrative NetIDs and Aliases (Google Groups) are appropriate in cases where a general publishable e-mail address is email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org where the emphasis is on receiving in-bound e-mail messages.
Note: Most three letter combinations are already assigned to individuals and are unavailable for Admin NetIDs and Aliases.
Administrative NetIDs for Google Apps or Box
Administrative NetIDs are used when a general email account is required. Please refer to the creation guidelines for Admin NetIDs before making your request.
The owner of an administrative NetID is responsible for any violations of Georgetown University Computer Systems Acceptable Use Policy perpetrated from the administrative NetID and accounts associated with it.
- Administrative NetIDs have their own Google Apps including email, Drive and Calendar or a Box account.
- Administrative NetIDs can appear in the online directory and Georgetown Google Apps address book.
- Requests for password resets can be performed via the UIS Web site using the Password Reset request form for Admin NetIDs.
- The ownership of an Administrative NetID should be transferred to a new owner prior to the owner's departure to preserve access to stored messages. Use the Owner change request form for Admin NetIDs to request changes.
To request an Administrative NetID, complete the Administrative NetID Request Form. (Note: This form must be completed by the person who will own the Administrative NetID.)
Alias for Google Group
An Alias is used in combination with a Google Group which can be set to forward messages to one or more individuals.
- Messages can be forwarded to a limited number of users simultaneously.
- The actual destination for the alias can be viewed by the alias owner at any time by checking My Groups within their own Google Apps account
- Recipients can add a filter in Georgetown Google Apps that will file any messages addressed to the alias in a particular folder.
- Aliases can appear in the online directory and Georgetown Google Apps address book.
- Aliases do not have Georgetown Google Apps services such as Drive and Calendar.
To request a Google Group, complete the Google Group Request Form. (Note: This form must be completed by the person who will own the alias.)
- Request an Administrative NetID. This form must be completed by the person who will own the administrative NetID being requested.
- Request and Alias for Google Groups. This form must be completed by the person who will own the alias being requested.
Managing Existing Admin NetIDs, Aliases and Listprocs
- Administrative NetIDs
If the owner of an admin NetID is preparing to leave the University, that person should identify a new owner for the NetID with their department and complete the Admin NetID Owner change request form.
Request a password reset for an Admin NetID by using the Admin NetID Password Reset request form.
- Aliases for Google Groups
The owner of the alias can view the existing destination addresses by going to My Groups in their own Google Apps account. If you are unable to find the alias there, or are unable to make edits, please complete the NetID Alias Routing Update Request form
If the owner of an alias is preparing to leave the University, that person should identify a new owner for the Alias within their department and complete the Alias Owner change request form.