Setting up Georgetown Duo
In the following steps, you will log in to your Georgetown Google Apps account (after having enrolled in Georgetown Duo), install the Duo Mobile app on your device, and set up Duo to recognize your device in order to send it login requests each time you log in to a Georgetown Web site.
While UIS recommends using the Duo Mobile App on a smartphone as the easiest way to use Duo, using the Duo Mobile App is NOT required and it does not have to be installed. You have the option of setting up Duo to use a landline phone which allows you to authorize Duo access from a phone call.
Note: Make sure you first enroll in Georgetown Duo before performing the steps below.
- Log in to your Georgetown Google Apps account. Click Start setup in the following screen:
- In the “Add a new device” screen, select Mobile phone and then click Continue.
- In the next screen, enter the phone number of the device you want to register for Georgetown Duo. You should see a check mark next to the phone number you entered if it’s successfully valided.
- In the next screen, select the type of device you are registering, and then click Continue.
The following screen is displayed:
- Install the Duo Mobile app on your device by performing the following:
Go the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
- Enter “duo mobile” in the search box, and then select duo mobile from the search results.
- Tap the button to install Duo Mobile.
- After Duo Mobile has installed, tap Open to open the app.
- Tap OK to allow notifications from Duo Mobile.
(Important: Make sure to select OK to allow notifications. Otherwise, you will not receive notifications and will not be able to log in to your applications.)
- Tap Accept to accept the license agreement.
- In the next screen, tap Add Account.
- Click OK to allow Duo to access your device’s camera.
- Go back to the Web site and click on I have Duo Mobile installed.
The following screen will be displayed:
- Hold your device up to the bar code (as if you were taking a picture of it) so that your device’s camera can scan it.
If Duo scanned the bar code successfully, you’ll see a check mark on the bar code, as shown below.
- Click Settings, and then select My Settings & Devices from the next screen. (Note: If prompted, proceed through the Duo authentication process to access the Settings screen.)
In the “My Settings & Devices” screen, perform the following:
Make sure your Default Device (the primary device you want to use for Duo authentication) is selected.
- Scroll down until you see When I log in, and then select Automatically send this device a Duo Push from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save, and then click Back.
- Click Continue.
- Click Done. (Scroll down if you can’t see the Done button.)
You’ve successfully set up Duo on your device so that the Duo Mobile app is linked to your account.
You can now log in to your Web site using Duo (jump to step 3 of the login procedure).
Important: UIS strongly recommends you add/register more than one device to your Georgetown Duo account. By having more than one device registered, you will still be able to log in to your applications (by switching to that device during the Duo authentication process), even if you forget, damage, or lose the device, such as your mobile phone, you use regularly to log in. You can register a mobile phone, tablet, landline phone, such as your office desk phone, and even the phone of a trusted friend. (A trusted friend is a person you can reach out to if you ever need help getting into your Georgetown account [e.g., you forget your mobile device and can’t get into your Georgetown Google Apps account]. Note: The trusted friend must also be enrolled in Georgetown Duo before you can add that person’s device.)