Combining courses is called "Cross-Listing" in Canvas. If you are teaching multiple sections of a course and wish to combine the enrollments of each course into a single Canvas course site, please follow the instructions below. This feature is helpful for instructors who teach several sections of the same course and only want to manage course data in one location.
Before You Cross-List (combine) Courses in Canvas, Please Read:
- Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished and before there are grades and assignments in your course.
- Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a course is cross-listed after being published, any associated assignment submissions and grades will be lost.
- You can combine all sections, select sections, or cross-listed sections of a course, but you must have an instructor role in all of the sections to be combined.
- Section names do not change when they are cross-listed; the section is just moved to another course.
- Sections can only be in one course at a time. Once a section is cross-listed, you can re-cross-list the section into another course if necessary.
- If you have elected to have your course sections automatically combined through the Automated Course Combination Service in Blackboard, you do not need to take action in order for your courses to automatically cross-list (combine) in Canvas.
Differences between Cross-Listing Courses in Canvas and Blackboard:
- In Blackboard combined courses were designated as "COMB" or "C1"
- In Blackboard an additional course was created and called “COMB” or “C1”
- In Canvas, (typically section 01) will be the "PARENT" SECTION that will have all other cross-listed section enrollments (e.g. section 02, 03, 04 and so on).
- There will NOT be an additional COMB1 or C1 site in Canvas.
- Unfortunately, it is NOT possible to have an additional COMB1 or C1 combined site in Canvas even though it was possible to have such an additional "super/combo/uber" site in Blackboard.
- In Canvas, students will then only see the "parent" course (typically section 01)
After Cross-Listing your Courses in Canvas:
- Any student who registers for your course, after you have cross-listed your course, will automatically be enrolled into the cross-listed course (typically section 01 in Canvas).
- To de-cross-list a course, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Instructions for Cross-Listing:
- If you know the Course Name or Course ID follow these instructions
- If you do not know the Course Name or Course ID, click here
Go to the "child" course that you want to cross-list (combine) with the "parent" course. From the "child" course, click on Settings button located at the bottom of the course menu—> and then click on the Sections tab at the top.
Next, click on the blue link (course name) under Course Sections.
Look for the “Cross-List this Section” button and click. Depending on your browser, the button could be located at the bottom or top right of your screen.
Next, enter the "Parent Course" Name or ID (e.g. HIST-101-01.Fall2016) into the "Search for Course" field.
Finally, confirm that the resulting course is the correct "Parent Course" then click "Cross-List This Section".
- First, go to the course where you want to have enrollments combined. This will serve as the “parent” course.
- Next, look at the browser address bar, copy/write down the numbers at the end of the url. This is the Canvas Course ID number.
- Then, go to the course to be cross-listed (the “child” course or section). From that course, click on Settings button located at the bottom of the course menu—> and then click on the Sections tab.
- Click on the blue link (course name) under Course Sections.
- Look for the “Cross-List this Section” button and click. Depending on your browser, the button could be located at the bottom or top right of your screen.
- Finally, enter the Course ID from the Parent course (the number you copied/wrote down); confirm that the resulting course is correct then click "Cross-List This Section".
To check to make sure your Cross-Listing worked, head to the “Parent” course, and click on the “People” tab. You should now see all students listed (from all cross-listed sections) in your parent course.
- Need help? email: email@example.com