Box Migration FAQ
Note: We will update our FAQ regularly as we develop our migration strategy and plan based on the assessment of our current Box usage.
About the Migration
- What is happening?
The purpose of the Box Migration project is to permanently move data that currently resides in Georgetown Box accounts into another (to be determined) cloud storage service prior to December 31, 2022. The first phase of the project is to conduct an assessment to determine the use cases appropriate to be retained in Box and to determine a strategy for migration of user data to the new cloud storage service.
- Why are we Reducing our Box Usage?
When we signed our original contract with Box, Box offered all higher education institutions unlimited storage. We were recently notified that we would need to limit our storage to 164TB to stay at our current level of spend. We are currently at a little over 300TB of storage and growing at a rate of 20-30TB per month.
- When will the migration happen?
The migration of data to the new cloud storage service will occur in phases. The first part of the data migration will commence over the summer and continue through the end of this year; by December, the university’s total Box storage usage will need to be no more than 265TB. In this first phase, we will be focusing on migrating administrative, non-PHI (Protected Health Information) data. The next phase of the data migration will happen in 2021.
- What are the details of the migration? (What’s the migration plan?)
We will email the details of the migration plan once they are available in the coming months.
- Will I be notified when my files and folders will be migrated?
Yes, we will notify you when your files and folders will be moved to the new cloud storage service.
- What do I need to do before the migration?
Before your data is migrated, we strongly encourage you to do the following:
- Perform a “spring cleaning” of your Box account—review all the files and folders you have in Box, and delete any items you no longer need.
- Take note of your folder structure to verify that this structure is set up correctly after the migration.
- Delete any items you no longer need (you don’t need to delete important files simply to reduce space!)
- Record all files and folders you currently share with others, as well as what level of permissions you’ve set up with them. (You’ll need this information to reapply those permissions after the migration.)
- Record all files and folders that others are sharing with you.
- What will happen to files and folder I’m sharing with others?
Unfortunately, the migration will remove any sharing you’ve set up on your Box files or folders, so you’ll need to reapply those permissions in the new cloud storage service.
Before your data is migrated, be sure to record the files and folders you’re sharing, and with whom you’re sharing those items. You’ll be able to set up file sharing again in the new cloud storage service once your files and folders have been migrated.
- How can I check how much storage space I’m using in Box?
To check your current storage usage:
- Click on your name or initials on the upper right of your screen, and then select Account Settings from the drop-down.
- In the ‘Account Settings’ page, make sure the Account tab is selected.
- Scroll down to the Account Details section, you’ll see a listing for Storage Used. This will be your current storage usage.
- Will my files and folders in Box be in the same file/folder structure?
Yes, all your Box files and folders will remain in the same hierarchy when migrated as they currently do in your Box account.
- I really like using Box, can I just continue using it?
We understand that moving from Box to another cloud storage service may cause disruption for you. We will help ensure that the move to a new cloud service will be as smooth as possible for you, and we will be glad to assist you with any special storage circumstances you or your department might have.
Once we know the cloud service to which we’ll be moving, we will provide how-to documentation on the UIS site for getting started and basic steps on how to use the service.
Box Features vs Other Cloud Storage Services
- Can we use Google Drive? (Is there an option to have my files and folders migrated to Google Drive?)
Going forward, you can begin to use Google Drive for new files and folders. Google Drive has developed into a secure, reliable storage and collaboration platform that provides us the same encryption and audit controls as Box.
For folders that you plan to share with others please consider establishing a shared Google Drive configured for your team, group or department, so that all important work files and data can be accessible by all relevant staff and colleagues.
Click here for instructions on how to set up a shared Google drive.